- Over 150 unique Butterflies with very diverse spawning grounds and behaviors
- Collect and Decorate your Home: Build youself a butterfly house or hang your catches on the wall as trophies
- Make a butterfly house \o/: Once caught, butterflies do not naturally despawn anymore
- Semi-Intelligent Behaviors: Butterflies wander around, feed, rest, glide, sleep, flee from players, chase eachother, hide from rain and some butterflies even dance around glowstone in the night
- Catalog your Catches: Collect data on the Butterflies you caught with the Butterfly Encyclopedia and share it with your friends in Multiplayer
- Research spawning grounds: Examine dead butterflies with a magnifying glass to reveal some information of where still undiscovered butterflies might spawn
- Read & Learn: The Encyclopedia also contains a lot of real life information on each butterfly, just click 'Details'
- Trade with Entomologist Villagers: Diamonds for Rare butterflies \o/
Catch butterflies with a Net:
Caught dead Butterflies can be turned into paintings (frame types: Wooden, Lapis, Iron):
Keep a Jar in your inventory to catch butterflies alive. Gold and Iron Jars break the fastest, Diamond Jars last the longest.
The butterflies required for crafting the encyclopedia are (shapeless recipe):
- Northern Brown Argus (Extreme Hills)
- Jutta Arctic (Taigas)
- Pearl charaxes (Deserts, Savannas)
- Comma (Forests & Plains)
- Purplish Copper (Plains, River, Swampland)
- Common Brimstone (Forests & Plains)
When you right click the Encyclopedia it opens up an Index of all the butterflies you’ve caught so far. Click on a Butterfly for details. Please note that butterflies get only added to the encyclopedia you own (- check the tooltip it has to write your name there!) and only by naturally spawned butterflies (not from the Jar)
Hint: You can the right mouse button to go back to the overview. And you can also use the left+right arrow button on your keyboard to browser the encyclopedia like a book.
For the researching you need first of all a magnifying glass
Then you are ready to do some serious studies and bring it on paper! (Use any butterfly)
Now right click on your findings paper and you might get something like this.
Butterfly research will give you 1, 2 or 3 Fragments of Butterfly spawning data, but only from not yet discovered butterflies of the same family and same or one higher rarity of the butterfly you have studied on your crafting bench (in the upper screenshot, a yellow pansy was studied)
Hint: You can also make a present to your friends and give them high quality findings papers that you find. Getting 3 Fragments at once is quite rare.